Sunday 26 May 2013

Flats and Handwashing Challenge Days 6&7

I skipped Day# 6 blog post because I was just too tired...I'm rolling it into the final post....What I have learned from this challenge. 

I did learn that flats are a lighter more breathable option for summer, which was what I set out to determine. However I feel like I'm still unable to answer whether this would be a viable solution for those in need...ill explain why. 

Flats are clearly much cheaper than disposables and for this they are amazing. Handwashing on the other hand (besides the fact that it sucks), I don't know that it's manageable. I'm currently on maternity leave and I found it hard to hang in there for the week as Handwashing is really tough. You have to find the right routine, right amount or soap, rinses, time washing, etc. I felt as though I was giving up precious moments with my daughter while I was trying to stay afloat with the washing. I don't think I would have managed had I still had a newborn. I say all of these things because I know I have another option at my fingertips, maybe I would feel differently if I had no other choice.  Also if I was struggling to put food on the table, I would be working crazy hours and would not have the time or energy needed to wash once I got home. 

I am surprised to learn that flats are just as absorbent as microfibre when used in a pocket diaper. I found out my daughter pees frequently throughout the day but isn't necessarily a heavy wetter. Wetness causes problems super quick for my little girl, and I still love wool covers. I made a couple fleece covers that were super easy and work great too. 


All in all, I'm glad the challenge is over and I can use my machine again. I have to admit that I'm not cut out to hand wash full time. Thank-you for following my journey through this challenge, I'm pretty sure I won't be participating again, but I'm proud I completed it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment